Friday, December 11, 2009

Thoughts from book, "Crazy Love" part I


I am in the process of reading a new book by Francis Chan called "Crazy Love". Very interesting read - Here are a few quotes of interest - Chan is describing two different kinds of people - those that are totally in love with Jesus Christ and those that are "lukewarm". Here are a few descriptions of a lukewarm person -

Lukewarm people:

(1) attend church fairly regularly. It is what is expected of them, what they believe "good Christians" do, so they go.


(2) give money to charity and to the church --- as long as it doesn't impinge on their standard of living. If they have a little extra and it is easy and safe to give, they do so. After all, God loves a cheerful giver, right?


(3) tend to choose what is popular over what is right when they are in conflict. They desire to fit in both at church and outside of church; they care more about what people think of their actions (like church attendance and giving) than what God thinks of their hearts and lives.


(4) don't really want to be saved from their sin; they want only to be saved from their sin. They don't genuinely hate sin and aren't truly sorry for it; they are merely sorry because God is going to punish them. Lukewarm people don't really believe that this new life Jesus offers is better than the old sinful one.


Wow! Those are strong, especially the last one. Do any of those descriptions hit home? Revelation 3 gives a clear description of what Jesus thinks about the lukewarm person or church. May we fight the urge to be lukewarm and completely live a life that is controlled by Jesus.

Please share some comments or thoughts on the above....I will post a few more "lukewarm" descriptions in a few days.

4 comments:

  1. I hope to read that book someday--it looks interesting! Don't forget to check out my blog: http://barbarasbbandb.blogspot.com/ I need to write in it more often, but hopefully reading yours will spur me on to write more. :) Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is my cup of coffee brother, Will you please help me warm it up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to light a fire under my seat.
    mark

    ReplyDelete