Monday, July 27, 2009

Waiting on the Mail

I love the latest technologies....I really do! I remember when AOL first came out, and those famous words popped out of the computer - "You've Got Mail!". That was so cool - 90's cool if you know what I mean! Today - our inboxes are loaded up with spam, forward's, etc...almost to the point where it is not fun to check e-mail anymore.

Now, the U.S. Postal service has been around along time. These days most younger folks refer to it is as "snail-mail". Of course, like most things stamps continue to go up in cost, but the post office lines still seem to be longer than ever even in this modern world we live in.

Even greater than e-mail, there is this mystique about what comes in my mailbox on the street each day. I actually look forward to seeing that old ragged white four-door Buick century come down my street and I wonder what might come today. Most of the time it is bills or credit card solicitations, but once in a while it is a nice card, surprise check or a cool magazine or a card from my grandmother. The crazy thing is that I can be away from home for a night and when I call home, one of the questions out of mouth will always be, "Did we get any good mail?"

Here is to all the mail guys and ladies out there....thanks for bringing a little mystique to my day even in this communication frenzied world!

No comments:

Post a Comment