Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Confessions of a Facebook Hold-out


I know I am not among the 250 million of you who use facebook. Believe me - I feel the pressure everyday. Why not facebook? More on that in a minute. I actually did sign up for an account some months ago. I was on for about 10 minutes and then cancelled the account. Let me first say - that if you are on facebook; I am not mad at you nor I do I think you are wrong for having it. We all have our own personal convictions and we should live by those.

I have seen other people's facebook pages and they seem really cool! Whoever came up with the idea has to be a genius and I am sure is now well compensated for that too. Like most things, there are positive and negative aspects to consider. For me, I had too many people telling me, "Can you believe what they wrote on their facebook page?". I have very little tolerance for gossip, hear-say, and plain out talking about people especially in a public forum that has the potential to be hurtful to others. I realize that some of this I heard was from teenagers, but it sealed the deal when adults act like children in the things they write. I do not have the time nor energy to follow the unending drama! Also, to be honest, there are some relationships in high school, college and other places I have lived that I don't want to re-visit. Nothing personal - just where I am! Maybe being a pastor has something to do with that?!

We all have our own little hang-ups! Some people watch to much television...some eat to much....some of us talk on the phone to much :)....and some of us spend way to much time on facebook! That would be me if I was on it! So I choose to not join the 250 million of you who are on.....

The Bible says in James that we are to watch what we say..(3:6 - the tongue is unruly evil, full of deadly poison)...may we apply that to our fingers on a keyboard as well. By the way, don't be deceived by how many friends you have on facebook. One of my buddies has over 1,000 now! A true friend cares and loves you unconditionally through the good and bad times no matter what. In this high tech world- may we not miss out on true relationships by hiding behind a keyboard and if you choose to use these technologies, be a blessing to others representing Christ in all that we say and do!

Amen?

4 comments:

  1. well said.... i use facebook, but i do see your point. that is why i try to post either passages of Scripture or uplifting comments when on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true. We should be careful in words and actions. Many young folks watch our every move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I held out from social networking for a a few years. Then one of my children convinced me it was a great way to keep in touch with her as well as people I've met along life's journey. I must say, at times I see things that grieve my heart. There are times when I respond to prayer request or am uplifted by scripture. But I guess the biggest question we all need to ask ourselves is: do people see Jesus in our social sites? and do we see too much worldly "junk" when we are on those sites? I think you are using wisdom. You have caused me to ask myself.."Have I compromised, yet again, on the standards I feel God gave me years ago?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have face book and i connect with my friends and family and yea we gotta watch what we do just because some one else dose the wrong stuff dose not mean i have to. i follow my faith in Jesus Christ he guides me in what i do and its not my job to judge other for what they say or do

    ReplyDelete