Thursday, June 25, 2009

Where did the gum go?


The 80's were some of the greatest times as a kid. One of my favorite hobbies was collecting baseball cards. Of course, back then it was just three companies - Topps (the King), Donruss, and Fleer. Packs cost about .30 cents and all of them had a piece of gum in them. Gone are those days and packs are expensive with so many different brands of cards you can not keep up. However, I still have my Cal Ripken Jr. and Don Mattingly rookie cards that are prize possessions and have been stored up for awhile now.

Fast forward to the last two months where both of my boys have fallen in love with baseball and now want to buy baseball cards. I love baseball and it is so awesome to see my boys enjoying the sport as well. However, we went to our first baseball card shop sometime back and I realized how much things had changed in the baseball card world as far as price. We bought out first box (2009 Topps Finest). Get this - 6 packs for $55.00, but you are guaranteed an autograph. Check out the pic (it is a Will Venable game-worn jersey autograph). The thrill of opening the packs with the boys was awesome, but there was no gum to share.

No doubt in this world we live in, things are constantly changing. May we embrace the change with confidence that our God is still in control. May we live each day to it's fullest embracing those priceless moments with our full attention. May we remember the past, but live in the present and look to the future. And if you can find some of those old wax packs, save the gum for me. I bet it still tastes good after all those years!

9 comments:

  1. Those were the daze..... ripped many a pack with you!!! :o) Remember 1986 - Donruss??? JOSE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember going to the baseball card stores with both of our boys. But especially Josh really got into collecting. He still has boxes and boxes of cards....wonder if any of them are worth anything? When my brother was little he collected baseball cards and I can remember the piece of gum in them being about 2x2 inch square.
    But, I also can remember when a payday candy bar was almost the size of a 50 cent piece and cost 5 cents. Things have really changed but one thing that is thankfully always consistent is God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember how big the piece of gum was in the baseball packs....Josh loved collecting the cards and still has boxes and boxes. Things change so rapidly but thankfully one thing that always stays consistent is God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Blog! So does this mean that the boys would like to go see a Charlotte Knight's baseball game for SPF boy's nite out? I think it would be fun : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT Blog - LOVED growing up in the 70's / 80's! Didn't do the baseball cards but had a lot of friends that did - AND the gum was good!
    --Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. We still boxes of cards our boys left at home.
    Baseball and basketball. I remember the gum from
    when my brothers collected. I wonder if ours are worth anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anybody that has some old cards that they would like to me look at, please let me know. I could tell you if you have anything of value! Thanks to everyone for reading and the comments. This is cool! - Rev

    ReplyDelete
  8. got several boxes of cards--don't remember much about the gum--never knowing whose card was in the pack was the fun part! enjoyed going to the stores that sold collector's cards!!!!
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Split second decisions can make or break our relationship with God - so every second counts!! Good sermon series!!
    Delores

    ReplyDelete